Saturday, August 22, 2009

Die Dye

Welllll after all the heated disscussion about dying yarn on Ravelry and getting an issue of Knit 1 with some info about dying with plants and stuff I decided to try to dye some yarn.

I had some nice hand spun 100% Australian Merino 110g skein made by Golden Gryphon which I had bought at a medieval fair. It had been dyed with onion skin and was pale yellow, I don't really like pale yellow so I decided to dye it orange-ish.

So I put a pot on the stove to boil, put in some tummeric and saffron and put in the yarn, it was kind of going more yellow which annoyed me so I added some Red Chai tea I had sitting around (from T2)

This made it more reddish but also a bit greenish, in my frustration I added every red thing could find in my kitchen cupboard. The final ingredient list is long.

Red Chai tea
Red fruits tea
Tummeric
Saffron
Paprika
Red wine
Cherry Juice

I was amazingly lucky and the final product came out nice and reddy orange, definitley a fluke but YAY!


1 comment:

petitevache said...

the color is lovely :)

you're far braver than i, i haven't yet tried my hand at hand-dying.